Saturday, May 10, 2008

Roads Go Ever, Ever On...



Roads go ever, ever on
over rock and under tree,
by caves where sun has never shone,
by streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
and through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone
and over mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever, ever on,
under cloud and under star
yet feet that wandering have gone
turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
and horrors in the halls of stone
look at last on meadows green
and trees and hills they long have known.


from "The Hobbit"
J.R.R. Tolkien



Opening night was a stunning success. There was a huge buzz in the 1,100 strong audience and they seemed engaged in the show from the start. They really wanted to clap which was great (at first, I thought..AHHH! You can't hear the scene change music!!! But really...I'd rather they have the chance to express themselves. They even applauded when the dwarves climbed up in the trees (it was a good effect.)
I couldn't be more pleased with the way everything has turned out. It feels very good yo have a had such a great production sercve as my US premiere.
Back in 2004, when the Hobbit premiered at the Canadian Childrens Opera Chorus (and I must say, I have been thinking about Ann Cooper Gay and the wonderfully talented people that helped create this show)I wasn't suer when I would get to experience this opera again. That can be kind of depressing. I am happy to say, though that definate plans are underway for future productions here in the US, but also abroad. Last week, I received the go ahead to translated the opera into German for a 2009 European premiere in Hamburg, Germany. I've also had requests from France and Portugal, so I think the road will be going ever on for some time...
We have another show this afternoon, with Brooke playing Bilbo this time (Maria was last night). Both are excellent and bring different but equally wonderful things to the character. It's nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the show, but I just can't get over the annoying habit of mouthing all the words. I find myself doing it at various points in the show...really weird...it's like I'm Gollum or something. As long as I don't start refering to Maestro Inouye as "my precioussss" we'll be fine.
So roads do go ever on and it's time for this wanderer to turn, at last to home afar. I fly back to Toronto tomorrow and it'll be great to be back home. That being sad, I can't thank everyone enough here in Sarasota for the completely professional and thrilling job that they have done with my opera. It has always been my goal to push the boundaries of what children's opera is, and I think (like Bilbo and Gandlalf) that it has been a journey to remember.

Gil sila na lu govaded
May a star shine on the time of our meeting

Dean

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Burry:

It's Raven, thank you so much for composing such a wonderful opera, having the Sarasota Youth Opera perform its American premiere, and giving me two opportunities to interview you. YO members were crying because the run was over. The show came together and became an absolute masterpiece. I can't wait to watch the DVD, it's funny. I was talking to other cast members and they were saying how the dvd of The Hobbit will be the first opera they performed in that they'll actually want to watch more than once. I know I will. The audience absolutely loved the performance and I do hope that the Sarasota Youth Opera performs it in the future. Please continue to read the blog I write for the Herald Tribune: www.heraldtribune.com/teenopera

Good luck with all of your future compositions. I'm sure they'll be absolutely fabulous.

Signed,
Ori the dwarf, :)

zhu bajiee said...

Mr Burry.

I downloaded your "Far over the Misty Mountains" from your website, and now continually whistle, hum and sing it to myself. Very catchy! Any chance we can download, buy or otherwise hear a whole performance or recording?



Thanks.